Monday, September 1, 2008

Hurricane Gustav

Hurricane Gustav was pretty much a non-event here (thank you Jesus!). We had some heavy bursts of rain and wind today, but not anything worse than a good thunderstorm.  Yesterday I decided to go to the beach to check out the waves.  I was surprised they weren't bigger, but it worked out because I let Leah walk in the surf for the first time. (Sad, I know...she's 15 months and she's not been to the beach yet...although she has been to the Soundside).  She absolutely LOVED it!  In fact, I had a hard time getting her to leave.  Chris and Tracy joined us with their little one, Katherine (who's only lived here a couple months and has been to the beach a couple times...now I feel even more guilty).  It was a really fun time...I only wish Eric could have been there.  He got called at 3:30 Sunday morning and was told to be at the squadron within an hour so they could evacuate the planes.  Certainly an overly cautious decision considering the impact the storm had on us, but I can understand I suppose.  That's some serious equipment...

This was the sky on my way to the beach.  These clouds opened up for about 5 minutes...really hard, sideways rain.  And then it was beautiful...
Leah's learning to identify her belly, knees and toes.  She's QUITE proud of her belly!  When Eric or I take her shirt off she rubs it like it's a hard-earned beer belly..

Excited that Katherine joined us.
First walk on the beach...



My little fly-catcher.  Her mouth was open and smiling the whole time she was in the water.


We stood Leah and Katherine next to each other and started snapping away with the camera.  I asked Leah to hug Katherine and she did...

I should have cropped it closer (but am too lazy now), but we saw a couple dolphin swimming.

Chris, Tracy and Katherine

I love this one...

When we got home, she brought me my shoes and then proceeded to step into them...she is just too fun!!!

No comments: